By Alexandra Zahn
Life in college is about more than worrying about classwork, exams, and tedious, ungodly hours spent in the library. Notoriously, college students are also known for being broke. So what do you do when you have a significant other and want to have a date out on the town without spending oodles of money? Here’s a list of cheap things to do in Ames for date night:
- Feeling playful? Head out to Perfect Games for some great deals. Perfect Games has deals essentially all week long, with $2 games and $2 shoe rentals Mondays through Thursdays every week. However, Monday nights they have $4 for 6 wings and two for one domestic draws. Tuesday nights they have half off well drinks, and
Wednesdays they have $2 walking tacos and $1 chips and salsa. Talk about a steal!
- Sushi Wednesdays: At Hy-Vee, you can get a steal on sushi on Wednesdays of every week. Buy one get one free sushi rolls! Roll in with your sweetie for this affordable deal.
- A Romantic Walk in the Gardens: At Reiman Gardens, ISU students get free admissions. During the warmer weather, take your date to the gardens for a nice, romantic stroll. Reiman Gardens also has an indoor section, if you are looking to escape from the snow and cold weather.
- Octagon Center of the Arts: If you and your significant other are looking for some new scenery other than the beautiful buildings around campus, consider going here. It is a non-profit art center that features artists in Ames. Photography, pottery, paintings, and textiles are all featured at the location on Douglas Ave.
- Taco Tuesday: Es Tas has a lunch special every day of the week between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. where there is an all-you-can-eat taco bar for only $8. The great thing about this lunch special, is that customers under the age of 21 can enjoy too! Es Tas IDs around 5 p.m. every day, so if you are under 21 and looking to just soothe your taco cravings, you are in luck.
- Going Out: an Intoxicating Date Night (If you are of age). Each bar in Ames has their own specials, but if you are looking to save a pretty penny and be able to tip your bartender, going out during the week is probably the best option. Not all of the bars in campus town area are open on Tuesdays, but Mickey’s has a $3 you-call-its and karaoke! You can get a top shelf liquor for only $3… that is a steal (and less of a hangover). Mother’s Pub and Paddy’s have Tuesday Trivia, and Cy’s Roost has Mario Kart tournaments with liquor and beer deals of their own. Wednesdays are famously known as “dollars night” On dollar night, most bars have dollar well drinks until 11pm! Thursdays are mug nights, getting you the most for your money. You can purchase a specialized mug at your favorite bar and fill it up to the brim. Don’t forget to drink responsibly; you do not want to embarrass yourself in front of your lovely date.